[OpenSER-Devel] FUNCTION ser.bitand does not exist

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Tue May 13 20:56:36 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Iouri Kharon wrote:
>    Hi Dan!
>
> Tuesday, May 13, 2008, you wrote:
> > the mysql/postgres code being transformed into something inefficient
> > just for the sake of an oracle module which almost none uses.
>
> "None" is not quite true, but this is not the point.

Until a month ago there was no oracle db backend, so no oracle users, as
opposed to almost everyone using mysql and postgres with openser
nowadays. That was the point I was making and we shouldn't make changes
that make the most used db backends slower, on the contrary we should
find ways to optimize them and make less queries if possible. We cannot
afford to have a 5% penalty with every new db backend we introduce when
the db backend is the major bottleneck of the openser operation.

This argument that if you want more performance out of the db, then switch
to oracle doesn't stand and it's not a reason to ignore or make the other
backends less efficient. Myself, I'm not convinced that oracle lives up
to the promised 45k inserts, I'd rather say that is a marketing number
attainable (if at all) under certain conditions probably with multi line
inserts per query and no indexes (which can be done by mysql as well, but
the point is that openser doesn't use them so they don't count). For me
mysql works just fine, I just don't want to see it getting worse.

I'm sure everyone has some preference when it comes to the database to
use, but let's not impose our choices on the others. If oracle is your
choice for whatever reason, then good for you, but please don't make your
messages sound like we should all ignore changes that make mysql and
postgres less efficient because we shouldn't use them anyway and we
should all move to oracle for any serious load.

--
Dan