[OpenSER-Devel] SVN frozen or not?

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Tue Jun 10 15:47:16 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> [..]

Hi Bogdan,

> 1) major design issues and architectural reasons are invoked just to
> mislead people around and delay the freeze - and now the only changes
> are about enabling the local_route for more certain
> modules...hmmm...This looks like pushing arguments for one thing and
> actually doing something else at the end.
>
> 2) waste of time - these changes could have been done last Friday if
> somebody would have said it clear - it is a task that takes maximum one
> hour.

Technically speaken there is no huge difference if this changes were done on
friday or today/ tomorow, if you don't consider the freeze date. As i said
before, Daniel want to do some adaptions for local_route, and for this a
minor exception is IMHO ok given the late commit of this feature. The waste
of time also results from the extensive discussions we've done on this list.

> 3) the whole discussion about the initial commit was about principals
> and how each opinion matters for the project - now, based on three
> people opinion, the SVN is partially un-frozen without no prior
> notification about this decision. Are only three developers in this
> project?

Take a look at the thread "1.4. not freezing tonight", were it was discussed.
They are of course more developers in the project, but this three were the
only one that replied in the last days. So i think the other ones don't care
that much if the freeze was last friday or is in the next days after Daniel
finished his stuff. Even you've said that its ok if there is a slight delay,
although if you don't think its a good thing.

> 4) changes started to be done, but without no prior consultation on the
> matter - if I'm not wrong this was the main invoked reason for this
> whole discussion.....
>
> again , I do not like this because some serious disrespect for the
> people working here in this project.

I don't want to show disrespect to anybody, if this had happened, i'm sorry
about that. What i'm trying to get is some compromise were anybody can live
with, including you and Daniel. My priority is get this release as best as
possible out of the door, nothing else.

Instead of discussing this over and over again without (IMHO) any real
progress and also more wasted time and hurt feelings, we should try to get
back to the actual agenda, like bugfixing and testing the release. After
Daniel has done his outstanding adaptions the freeze will be in full effect.

If you see still a need for discussion then perhaps you can just give me a
call, this should be much more efficient than writing long mails. I can also
organize a phone conference for tomorow with the involved parties if there is
interest.