[Devel] more im/presence thoughts

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Fri Oct 6 14:23:02 CEST 2006

Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:

 > > the advantage of (2) is that it would make openser environment also a
 > > full blown xmpp server environment, i.e., we would have two eggs (sip
 > > and xmpp) in our basket rather than just one (sip).  further, supporting
 > > both sip and xmpp im/presence clients for the same AoR would seem to be
 > > easier.
 > >
 > In my opinion is harder to implement a good SIP UA in jabber rather than
 > a XMPP component in openser. Also, for us it is easier to develop code
 > in openser, and presence will be still demanding a lot, now is onl the
 > beginning. Although the presence messages are to be quite large and
 > maybe to force usage of TCP, SIP seems more flexible in scalability.

sip may have technical merits, but we can't decide what clients users
choose to use and looks like there is a lot more jabber im/p users than
sip im/p users.  therefore my point was that it would be a big advantage
to openser if openser platform would include a full blown xmpp server
for both c2s and s2s use.  that way we could integrate sip and xmpp
presence info and im messages into same db tables.

-- juha