[Devel] acc diff

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Tue Oct 3 15:05:08 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 08:03, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> i understand, but can't accept this kind of complexity in Radius
> backend, when User-Name is NOT included in mysql etc. backends at all.
>
> because there are NO technical nor standards reason to have User-Name
> in Radius backend, Radius should not be treated differently from mysql
> etc. backends and MUST NOT include User-Name in the minimal set.

Well, I'm looking at the minimal set you propose below and I'm wondering
how would those attributes allow me to tie an accounting record to the
user it belongs to and the price for its destination.

I fail to understand why this is such a strong issue (considering how many
times you capitalized a form or another of the word NO in the paragraph
above) and why must it be dealt with only the way you think it's right
and no other way.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that we do not need to send more attributes
than necessary and I'm all for a minimalist approach, but I do believe
that the standards you so strongly want to follow are written by people
that are so much in love with their pet SIP protocol that they most of
the time fail to see the bigger picture and the requirements of real
world situations. Else I do not understand why they thing that CSeq is
worth to be included in a minimalist set, but the source/destination of a
call is not. I mean, jeez, the purpose of this is to do accounting and
billing not SIP tracing. Anyway I digress here.

In short I'm all for your approach as long as I have a simple way to
preserve User-Name in my list of attributes without having to do avp
testing and manipulations to get this done.
Currently User-Name uses a fallback mechanism and takes the most
appropriate value available (credentials first then from then n/a).
If you tell me what is the pseudo variable I can use to declare User-Name
as some extra radius accounting attribute (to preserve the current
behavior) without using avp manipulations to get it, I'm all for it.
Else this will only complicate the life of any script writer out there by
requiring them to rewrite the intelligence that openser currently uses
internally into the configuration script.

--
Dan