[Devel] Re: priorities in osp reply?

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Tue Jan 3 21:16:51 CET 2006

Dmitry Isakbayev writes:

 > OSP response lists destinations in the order they should be tried.
 > However, each destination does not have an explicit priority.

ok, then it is not possible to, for example, tell in the response that
"try first simultaneously the first two and then simultaneously the last
three".

 > but I guess the function could generate q values to indicate that the 1st
 > destination is more important than the 2nd one and so on.

yes, you could do that kind of mapping, but it really doesn't help much
if there is no way in osp response to tell that the next peer should be
tried simultaneously with the previous one.  one bit per peer would have
been enough, but i guess that it doesn't exist in the osp protocol
spec.

another question:  it is possible that some of the "peers" returned by
osp are not trusted, i.e., can the token be missing?  for example, if
osp server makes enum query and gets back several naprt records, some of
which belong to trusted peers and some not.  what i'm trying to
understand here is what is the intended relationship between osp and
enum.

-- juha