[Devel] Processing REGISTER requests

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Tue Oct 4 18:35:16 CEST 2005

On 10/04/05 19:17, Dan Pascu wrote:

>On Tuesday 04 October 2005 18:32, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>

>>Are you sure that 98% implements it? There are different phones that
>>generate same call-id, maybe that's the charm of SIP, nothing is
>>reliable 100% :-) ... never boring ... all the time something to fix
>>

>I'm very sure. I have only one phone that has CSeq=101 in the database all
>the time, all the others have a CSeq that is incremented by each
>register. It's all in my first email.

>>I understood that you propose to lookup by call-id only, otherwise I
>>see no sense to do the lookup based on (call-id, contact address) since
>>the contact is different (due to port change, in this case) => never
>>matches.
>>
>>Maybe you can sketch the lookup algorithm so I understand better what
>>you propose and we can spot the proper solution.
>>

>I'm a bit surprised and disappointed at this point. You are hammering down
>my proposal while you don't seem to know what it contains. I didn't
>propose to replace lookup-by-contact and I didn't propose to do the
>lookup using both the callid and contact at the same time (that wouldn't
>make any sense). The algorithm I proposed is in my first email and I
>don't want to replicate it here. We may be able to continue this
>discussion after you read it because till now you dismissed 2 solutions I
>never proposed.

I did read your first email, but the previous one was confusing me. In
my reply to your first email I argumented why call-id is not reliable.
Maybe the phrase "I proposed to use the 2 together ..." was misleading
me. In this case we come back to the first answer and the (multiple
equal) call-id issue. Call-id alone, in my opinion, is trouble maker.To
avoid any further confusion, I am referring to your initial e mail, phrase:

"So I think we can use this in our advantage, by first checking the
callid and if it's the same and the cseq is bigger than the old one,
then update that entry and also overwrite the contact with the new one
if different."

CSeq is more unreliable than call-id, since many sip phones use random
values.

Also, using call-id and only the private ip address (ignoring the port)
is not more accurate because of DHCP refreshing.

I asked for more clarifications in term of algorithm to have it clear in
mind. In your first mail you talked about more checks, those could be
relevant if you didn't wrote all of them you thought about.