[Kamailio-Users] Kamailio and SIP <-> XMPP gateway

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 12:23:50 CET 2010

Hello,

On 02/28/2010 06:43 PM, Even André Fiskvik wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've just started looking at kamailio, and I'm experimenting a bit with configuring a SIP<->  XMPP gateway with it using the pua_xmpp module.
> The configuration part hasn't beed straight-forward, but I think I'm starting to get somewhere.
> Both kamailio and XMPP/Jabber are new technologies for me serverside, so I don't have a great deal of experience with either.
>
> In short, what I'm trying to accomplish at this stage is:
> - Have CounterPath eyeBeam/Bria to register to my kamailio server
> - Have Aastra 6755i register to my kamailio server
> - Connect an XMPP client to my XMPP server
> - The CounterPath eyeBeam/Bria, Aastra and the XMPP client should all be able to see each others presence
> - The CounterPath eyeBeam/Bria should be able to IM other eyeBeams/Brias
> - The CounterPath eyeBeam/bria should be able to IM the XMPP clients and the other way around
>
> Reading through various earlier discussion though, I've found an issue that I wonder wether has been solved or not.
> In some mailing-lists I saw that only text/plain MESSAGEs was supported through the xmpp gateway, is this still true?

yes and 'no' :-). Yes because nothing was done in this respect to the
module itself. 'No' because now (kamailio 3.0) you can use
transformations to get content of xml documents and if the body is xhtml.
> If that's the case, is there any way to get CounterPath eyeBeam/Bria to work in the decribed scenario?
> As to my knowledge it can only send text/html ?

You can build a new message with uac module or update the existing SIP
message (content type, body), do msg_apply_changes():
http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/3.0.x/modules_k/textops.html#id2513318

and they use xmpp functions.

You can use ngrep to sniff the network to see connection between
kamailio (openser) and xmpp server as well as run kamailio in debug mode
in order to get more verbose log messages for each operation.

Note as well the purple module, a different approach, but might suit you:
http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/3.0.x/modules_k/purple.html

The old jabber module I developed is obsoleted, so nobody should rely on it.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio SIP Router Masterclass, Berlin, March 22-26, 2010
* http://www.asipto.com/index.php/sip-router-masterclass/