[Kamailio-Users] SIMPLE vs XMPP: The Resolution

Wed Oct 7 14:57:47 CEST 2009

Juha Heinanen schrieb:
> Iñaki Baz Castillo writes:
>
>  > Yes, that's a good vision. The problem here is that IETF *didn't*
>  > finish its work for SIMPLE and XCAP. Instead, IETF has published
>  > half-done specifications.
>  >
>  > I paste a mail I sent to IETF SIMPLE maillist:
>  >
>  >   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/simple/current/msg08512.html
>
> inaki,
>
> interesting reading.  i haven't been on ietf mailing lists for quite
> some time.  perhaps there are no "ietf" people anymore left in ietf sip
> related working groups, and they are currently only rubber stamping
> oma/ims specifications.  looks to be that way, because no-one responded
> to your message.
>
> i don't have anything against oma as long as they don't force me to use
> a large number of walled garden servers (like is the case with ims),
> whose only purpose is to milk the cow as many times as possible.

Using IMS/OMA on a technical basis does not require to adopt the telco's
business model.

E.g. IMS can be seen as an how-to achieve a scalable SIP infrastructure.
IMS defines lots of proxies (S-CSCF, P-CSCF, I-CSCF, ...), but in the
end it is a similar setup how big Kamailio installations are done today
e.g. load balancers, outbound proxy are similar to the P-CSCF, the
registrar is similar to the S-CSCF. Further, all the IMS components are
logical, functional components and you can also put all these components
into one node too.

Some people use direct DB backends, others use Radius, IMS uses Diameter
(more or less the same as Radius).

And, of course, no carrier/telco is forced to create its VoIP
infrastructure identical to the IMS defined architecture.

Probably IMS is a bit over engineered, but if you have big Kamilion (or
Asterisk) installations, you also end up with distributing the logical
components onto different nodes.

regards
klaus