[Kamailio-Users] perl module, "pv_sprintf: Memory exhausted!"

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Wed May 20 12:22:30 CEST 2009

On Mittwoch, 20. Mai 2009, Christian Koch wrote:
> > This long startup is also a bit unusual. Sure, it needs to allocates
> > some memory, and this informations needs to be written to syslog, but
> > several minutes is too slow. Do you read some database content in
> > memory on startup, like a huge location table, or a big carrierroute
> > route tree with several hundreds of MB?
>
> We're connecting to a database, but it includes only a few (about 20)
> subscribers, nothing else.  We didn't stress test the database
> (-connection). Without memdebug kamailio runs fast.

This is strange. Do you log to a remote host, for example with TCP? Or do
you've another big IO load on the machine, that could block the writing of
logs to the disk somehow?

> > > May 20 09:42:20 AmbriaSip1 kamailio: params (0x81677e0, 96), called
> > > from route_struct.c: mk_action(106)
> > > [..]
> > > May 20 09:42:22 AmbriaSip1 kamailio: params (0x81677e0, 12), returns
> > > address 0x81b4004 frag. 0x81b3fec (size=12) on 1 -th hit
> > >
> > > The logfile is full with this kind of messages.
> > > The load of the machine (Xeon dualcore @3GHz) goes up to 2, but using
> > > top we can't see that kamailio is using much CPU time (sometimes about
> > > 20%, but not more).
> >
> > So in which processes is the rest of the CPU time spend?
>
> Most of the time the CPU seems to be idle. Sometimes syslog shows up in
> top, but without much CPU time.
> Do you think this could be a dual-CPU issue? Perhaps syncing the memory
> access between the CPUs is slow?
> If you like to see the complete logfile we can post this too.

I'd guess most people run kamailio on a multi-CPU setup nowadays, so i don't
think this is the reason. So what causes the load of 2 during startup, if not
kamailio or syslog?

Henning