[Kamailio-Users] [REQ, $] db_rest (or db_http) module for database access

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Tue Jun 23 11:54:25 CEST 2009

On Dienstag, 23. Juni 2009, Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana wrote:

> > > Why not just provide an HTTP/REST interface to the database, then?
> >
> > What if I have database, but it is not Mysql/Postgres/Oracle ?
>
> Well, an ODBC connector could be created insted of HTTP/REST one, that will
> have a very high performance penalty.

Hi Raúl,

there is already a module that connects to ODBC drivers, "db_unixodbc".

> > What if one have more complex setup than plain tables (subscriber/aliases
> > and so on)? What if one have some CRM or ERP system without direct data
> > access but with some API instead?
>
> If you have such "complex" scenario, you should develop a way to dump your
> CRM/ERP data into Kamailio structures and not viceversa.
>
> > With REST/HTTP layer we can adapt any complex API to SER database API.
>
> NO, what you do is to add another layer, with a very high performance
> penalty and also with it owns weakness.
>
> > In our project we use distributed database without plain tables and plain
> > select/update access.
>
> Think about what Kamailio/Sip-Router needs and if it's better to develop an
> interface between Kamailio -> YourSystem or it's better to develop an
> interface between YourSystem -> Kamailio.
> I think that the second approach would be better.

I can't really comment if its make sense to use such a translation layer as i
don't know the system and the exact requirements of the original poster, even
if i also like to keep it simple.	But if such a translation module is useful
to some group, the created code is understandable, documented and maintainable
then i don't see a real reason that we this should not be accepted in our
repository [1]. Of course it should be implemented in a general way, that it
can be changed with some configuration to adapt to different URL schemes, for
example, like the SER ldap module.

Henning

[1] http://www.kamailio.org/mos/view/Contributions/