[Kamailio-Users] [REQ, $] db_rest (or db_http) module for database access

Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana rabs at dimension-virtual.com
Tue Jun 23 11:37:26 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 10:06:25 Konstantin Cherkasov wrote:
> Hello, Alex!
>
> >> It would provide access to database (internal database API) not
> >> management API. I want alias_db, auth_db, domain, group, usrloc etc. to
> >> work directly with HTTP/REST layer.
> >
> > Why not just provide an HTTP/REST interface to the database, then?
>
> What if I have database, but it is not Mysql/Postgres/Oracle ?

Well, an ODBC connector could be created insted of HTTP/REST one, that will
have a very high performance penalty.

> What if one have more complex setup than plain tables (subscriber/aliases
> and so on)? What if one have some CRM or ERP system without direct data
> access but with some API instead?

If you have such "complex" scenario, you should develop a way to dump your
CRM/ERP data into Kamailio structures and not viceversa.

> With REST/HTTP layer we can adapt any complex API to SER database API.

NO, what you do is to add another layer, with a very high performance penalty
and also with it owns weakness.

> In our project we use distributed database without plain tables and plain
> select/update access.

Think about what Kamailio/Sip-Router needs and if it's better to develop an
interface between Kamailio -> YourSystem or it's better to develop an
interface between YourSystem -> Kamailio.
I think that the second approach would be better.

--
Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana
Dimensión Virtual