[Kamailio-Users] NAThelper and multipart SDP

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Jun 22 13:25:29 CEST 2009

Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 06/22/2009 11:37 AM, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> [...]At the same time, the Kamailio leadership appears to have much
>> more perspective and standardisation on rtpproxy, as well as whatever
>> RTP forwarding module is being lifted from IPTel.org for SIP-Router.
>
> rtpproxy does more now than packet forwarding (e.g., playing audio, moh,
> repacketization ...), therefore needs to stay in user space, see:
> http://www.rtpproxy.org.

I did not mean to suggest that it is a liability of rtpproxy that it is
implemented in userspace.

Someone does need to do a study to see if kernel vs. userspace
forwarding really makes that much of a difference, though.  I suspect
that although it does make a difference, it is not nearly as much of a
difference as is commonly thought.

Perhaps I will do this study at Evariste and publish the results.  The
problem is I do not know of a good load-testing tool that generates
bidirectional media.  There is SIPP, but it is good for signaling and,
at best, instantiating one-way media flows only, and also has the
problem of making the far-end endpoint the limiting factor.  Is it
possible to set up SIPP or something like it (open source?) on two
endpoints and make them set up calls between themselves with media in
both directions?

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems