[Kamailio-Users] SIP-Router Project - how does this affect me?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Jul 6 02:42:50 CEST 2009

> I am not clear on what exactly the SIP-Router project is, nor how it
> will affect me?  Is Kamailio eventually being replaced with SIP-Router
> once all the functionalities have been rolled in?  Will my entire
> configuration script need to be reworked to eventually operate with
> this new platform?  Can anyone explain to me why this merge is
> happening so soon after Kamailio split with OpenSIPS?  All this
> turmoil feels very destructive to me.

This is a confusing topic, and could definitely use additional discussion
and official clarification.

I have been made to understand that Kamailio will not be replaced by
sip-router.  It is rather that sip-router is a a "common core" that
integrates both Kamailio and sip-router modules, and that both projects
will share this common core going forward, but remain distinct.  The
analogy provided to me by Daniel was of Linux kernels vs. distributions.

This seems fair enough, but it doesn't adequately explain who sip-router
is intended for and who Kamailio is intended for, and who should use which
and why and under what circumstances.  It does also seem that most of the
development and documentation energy is being concentrated into sip-router
integration, which leaves open the question of what the future of Kamailio
is.

This definitely needs to be discussed more.  Thank you very much for
raising it, Geoffrey.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems