[Kamailio-Users] Kamailio Newb questions

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 10:16:42 CET 2009

Hello,

On 02/26/2009 12:59 AM, carl Lougher wrote:
> Howdy,
> I'm trying to remove the media/rtp streams from an asterisk server for natted users so would like to know if this is possible with kamailio.

yes it is possible. nathelper+rtpproxy is the option I use and prefer
because of flexibility and performances. You can see an example at:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Kamailio+1.5.x+and+RTPProxy

> Qu's:
> What is the best option?
> rtpproxy/mediaproxy?
> nathelper?
>
> If i use kamailio to achieve this does it mean that i still have to carry the rtp streams through the kamailio server instead?

through the rtpproxy server, which can be located on same or different
machine than kamailio.

> Also will i need to change the logon info for the clients so they now logon to kamailio then i just point registrar to asterisk?
>
> Can i use kamailio for sip trunks to asterisk and carry rtp and natted clients media streams rather than register to asterisk?

Yes, you can register to kamailio, see registrar and usrloc modules.

> Many thanks,
> Taff..

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com