[Kamailio-Users] Transparent bridge mode

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 10:22:15 CET 2009

On 12/18/09 10:08 PM, Vikram Ragukumar wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Thank you for your reply. Let me briefly explain what i am trying to
> achieve over here.
>
> _____  eth0  _____    eth1   ______
> |_____|------|_____|--------|______|    Internet
> Server1            Server2
>                    2 NIC's             1 NIC
>                                            (Public IP)
>
> I show above a sketch of the desired setup.
>
> Server1 - Runs Kamailio and rtpproxy. It has 2 NIC's installed.
> Server2 - Runs Asterisk. It must be assigned a Public IP.
>
> I need to use rtpproxy to intercept data being sent to Server 2,
> process them and let them continue along their original path. Are
> there any references you can point me to, that show how to use
> rtpproxy to achieve this bridging? Does the connection between eth1 of
> Server1 and eth0 of Server2 have to made using a crossover cable ?

probably your diagram is not displayed properly by the email client,
since I do not really get what you wanted to draw.

However, in the kamailio server, if you have two network interfaces, run
kamailio to listen on both and rtpproxy in bridging mode between them.
Then rtpproxy will get packets coming on eth0 and send onver eth1 and
viceversa. I gave you the path in the source three where you find an
example to start with (in my previous email).

> Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 12/18/09 12:38 AM, Vikram Ragukumar wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I am trying to setup a test scenario, where i have Kamailio and
>>> rtpproxy running on one CentOS box (Server1) and i have Asterisk
>>> running on another CentOS box (Server2). Server1 has 2 NIC's eth0
>>> and eth1 that are both assigned Public IP's. There is a transparent
>>> bridge br0 connecting eth0 and eth1 which also has its own Public
>>> IP. Finally eth0 on Server2 also has a Public IP.
>>>
>>> Server2 must be assigned a Public IP.
>>>
>>> My goal is to modify rtpproxy so that i can intercept packets
>>> traveling to Server2, process them and let them resume along their
>>> original path.
>>> I would like to know if there is another way of setting this up so
>>> that i dont use as many Public IP's ?
>>> Do any of you see a problem with this setup, things that may not
>>> work eventually, or any other concerns ?
>>>
>> rtpproxy can do bridging of two interfaces -- see the example cfg:
>>
>> modules/nathelper/examples/alg.cfg
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel

Daniel-Constantin Mierla