[OpenSER-Users] LCR Gateway Priority....

Douglas Garstang dougmig33 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 15:49:43 CET 2008

>Douglas Garstang writes:
>
 >> I'm surprised no one has written a better module for this. In the
 >> realworld, you have multiple POPs, your carriers also have multiple
 >> POP's,multiple gateways. In the event you get a failure with one
 >> carrier, youprobably want to switch to the next cheapest carrier, not
 >> anothergateway within the same carrier (as it will probably just fail
>> again).When selecting a carrier gateway, you need to choose the best
 >> POP touse before you select the trunk.
>
>it might be possible for you to achieve what you describe using existing
>lcr module by having only one gw per group and then assign priorities in
>lcr table in such a way that for prefix +xx highest priority is gw group
>1 of the cheapest carrier, then gw group 1 of second cheapest carrier,
>then gw group 2 of cheapest carrier and finally gw group 2 of second
>cheapest carrier (assuming two carriers serving +xx).

Juha,

Thanks. I went through that option yesterday. As we have 6 instances of OpenSER running, I would need to have SIX routes defined in the lcr table for a single prefix. For example (IP's modified):

mysql> select * from lcr;
+----+--------+---------------+--------+----------+
| id | prefix | from_uri      | grp_id | priority |
+----+--------+---------------+--------+----------+
|  8 | 1303   | @203.84.213.8 |      1 |        1 |
|  9 | 1303   | @203.84.214.8 |      2 |        1 |
| 10 | 1303   | @203.84.215.8 |      3 |        1 |
| 11 | 1303   | @203.84.216.8 |      4 |        1 |
| 12 | 1303   | @203.84.217.8 |      5 |        1 |
| 14 | 1303   | @203.84.218.8 |      6 |        1 |

..... All that .... six rows for a single prefix. Of course, we have thousands of routes for each of our providers... off the top of my head, we have about 17,000 routes between Teleglobe and Verizon... multiply that by 6 and you have almost 120,000 routes. Apart from the administrative hassle, can OpenSER handle 120,000+ routes in the lcr table ok?

Our providers also have sometimes have several gateways in a single POP. However, we don't want to actually try and route calls to every single gateway in a POP, just a few of them. The LCR module doesn't seem to have a way to skip to the next lcr route. Can it do that? If it can't, we have to try every single gateway in a POP before skipping to the next carrier, which just isn't feesible.

Doug.

-- juha