[OpenSER-Users] OpenSER and MySQL cpu utilization question

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 10:23:34 CEST 2008

Hello John,

On 06/09/08 01:03, John Barry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using OpenSER 1.3.0 with digest authentication (MySQL database) in a multiprocessor machine (4 CPU). When using OpenSER configured with one child. I have noticed that OpenSER process can reach a maximum CPU utilization of 70% while the MySQL DB reaches around 30% CPU utilization (100% in total). Tipically the OpenSER process and the MySQL process will be using the same processor. However, this behavior happens also if I forced each processor to use different processors (using processor affinity).
>
> My question is why the OpenSER and the DB processes can't use more CPU time if they are running in independent processors (they behave as if they were running in a single processor). What is the dependency/relationship between the OpenSER and MySQL processes?

openser uses libmysqlclient to connect to mysql server. Usually, the
communication is done via a socket file when openser and mysql server
are running on the same machine. I see no dependency why they should
stick to same processor. What is the operating system you are using?
There were reported some performance issues with centos 5.

http://www.asipto.com