[OpenSER-Users] when openser starts - mi_fifo reports "pkg_malloc cannot allocate any more memory"

Christian Koch chri.koch.vier at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 15 16:24:54 CEST 2008

Hi Henning,

see answers below.

Henning Westerholt schrieb:
> On Monday 14 July 2008, Christian Koch wrote:
>
>> we have installed Openser with mysql on a RedHat Enterprise 4 machine.
>> Details are as follows:
>> [..]
>> version: openser 1.3.2-notls (i386/linux)
>> [..]
>> When we start openser the child process disappear directly again and the
>> log file shows the following (snippet, this message continues until
>> openser stopped):
>> [..]
>> Jul 14 11:30:10 Capricadb3 /usr/local/sbin/openser[10344]:
>> ERROR:mi_fifo:mi_writer_init: pkg_malloc cannot allocate any more memory!
>> [..]
>> We have configured openser to start 4 childs in the config file.
>>
>> When we configure 2 childs only it will start.
>> We have tried pretty much everything we can think of, we also used the
>> "DBG_QM_MALLOC" switch in the Makefile.defs
>> but the output in the logfile does not point out anymore helpful infos.
>> We also increased the shared and private memory in the config.h file
>> step by step up to pkg= 64 and shared=256MB without success.
>>
>> We have the same config running on another machine with pretty much the
>> same spec, just a slower CPU and less memory and there it runs with
>> default settings...
>>

> I assume that you mean 64Mb pkg memory? This is a lot,
> normally the default/ slightly increased settings should be just fine.
We started with the default settings and got the same error. So we
increased the value up to 64MB, but the error still occurs :-(

> Does
> the error happens all the time in the mi_fifo initialization?
Yes.

>  Do you use
> carrierroute with a large route set, or any other module that needs a lot of
> memory during startup?
We're using the following modules:

loadmodule "mysql.so"
loadmodule "sl.so"
loadmodule "tm.so"
loadmodule "rr.so"
loadmodule "maxfwd.so"
loadmodule "usrloc.so"
loadmodule "registrar.so"
loadmodule "auth.so"
loadmodule "auth_db.so"
loadmodule "uri.so"
loadmodule "uri_db.so"
loadmodule "nathelper.so"
loadmodule "textops.so"
loadmodule "mi_fifo.so"
loadmodule "gflags.so"
loadmodule "xlog.so"

We're not using carrierroute and our database is nearly empty.

> How much memory the machine have?

free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 4150288 4001796 148492 0 190912 3260800
-/+ buffers/cache: 550084 3600204
Swap: 2048276 208 2048068

Do you have any idea if we can set a higher debug level to get more
infos about the problem? We already have "debug=6" set in openser.cfg

Any hints are very appreciated.
Thanks in advance and best regards,
Christian