[OpenSER-Users] Survey for new mailing list

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Fri Feb 8 11:17:23 CET 2008

Hi all,

I the last year there was a good progress on the project policy
regarding releases (major and minor). Still, from my experience as booth
developer and user of openser, I feel the need for way to promptly and
focused inform the users of openser about the fixes, especially critical
fixes, that require immediate update.

Many project have lists where you can subscribe in order to get
notification for critical bug or security fixes. Currently, for openser,
if you are not subscribed on devel list and if you are not "good" enough
in "decrypting" the commit logs, you may miss important fixes you may
want to update.

I think is our duty as project to inform the users about the discovered
flows in the stable versions. My suggestion is to create a new mailing
list where, who is interested, will receive notifications when something
critical was fixed in the stable versions of openser.

Maybe a new list (like "alerts at lists.openser.org") where a developer,
after making the fix, can issue (if considered important) an update
alert for the interested people :
    Severity:
    Affected services/modules:
    Rev number where the fix is available:
    How to update: ?

I come to this as right now I'm working at two major fixes in the stable
versions affecting two important serviced - user location and
accounting. And I bet a lot of people will be interested in this in
order to update their installations.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Best regards,
Bogdan