[OpenSER-Users] Bigger OpenSER installation (2-5 Mio subs) and High Availability

Peter P GMX Prometheus001 at gmx.net
Sat Apr 26 14:08:12 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have done a project for a SIP provider who is rapidly growing.
Designed as a SBC for about 50.000 subscribers at first, I setup a
system with a high availability cluster (HA/DRBD) on 2 servers which had
one single database on the DRBD volume. Failover works like a charm with
only very limited downtime.
Now we have to consider to scale the system to about 2-5 Mio subs, so I
have to challenge with some things I cannot oversee at the moment.

My question is: How do you deal with big installations?
- how do you load balance the openser? Is it advisable put put some
dedicated SIP hardware in front for load balancing? Or is the dispatcher
module on a seperate machine sufficiant (again HA-issue)?
- we have a portion of calls who have to go through mediaproxy (How do
you load balance this?)
- Do you face database issues? We think about setting up a database on 2
seperate servers. Is MySQL ok for this or do you use other DBMS?
- Form your exoperience: Are there other things I have to consider?

Best regards and thanks for your support.
Peter