[Users] Re: [Business] Re: [Devel] OpenSER v1.2.0 released

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Fri Mar 30 13:04:43 CEST 2007

On Friday 30 March 2007 12:51, C. Bergström wrote:
>  > Just throwing wild ideas ... but if we moved to autotools (we need to
>  > look for a guru ... I agree, more than autotools is auto-chaos) we
>  > could easily cross-compile ...
>  > And that said, it just comes to mind the chance of cross-compiling
>  > with mingw and have a windows openser, just for the non-linux user and
>  > expand our borders. It may be a cut down version to start with, but
>  > wouldn't it be great?
>
> No.  Posix based software was in general never intended to run on
> Windows.  More often than not the additional effort isn't worth it and
> another thing to pull away from core development.
> [...]

The effort could be quite high, you're right. And i don't think it is right
thing to do to port every free software project on the planet to the MS
Windows platform, if they want to use e.g. OpenSER, they should use linux or
a other unix system. :-)

If anybody want to pay a developer for this, then it is another question. But
it is also my opionion that this work should not be done from the core
development team.

Best regards,

Henning