[Users] thought exercise

samuel samu60 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:27:57 CEST 2006

inline...
2006/9/28, Mark Kent <mark at noc.mainstreet.net>:
> Thanks, this is exactly the kind of answer I need...
>
> >> Because OPENSER-ONE is not a middle-man, is the proxy responsible for
> >> the AoR present in the Route|Req-URI and therefore it must not relay
> >> it but recognize it as a request targeted to one of its users.
> >>
> >> It must process Route Header And after that check the Req URI and send
> >> the BYE to the right user, probably using lookup and related...
>
> OK, but this Route Header processing you are talking about is done
> inside openser itself, and not driven by my openser.cfg, isn't it?

This routing is "exactly" what loose_route does...that's why you have
if(loose_route){} as one of the first checks of your config file, to
process in-dialog requests (~those having Route: headers).
If the requests goes beyond the loose_route check, it means that there
are no more Route headers (and therefore the in-dialog request is
suposed to have reached the end-point) and then you have to check the
Req-URI to forward the request to the right destination.

> I know, I know, someone knowledgeable on this list likes to post
> something like "openser doesn't do anything without you telling it to
> do it" but that's not really 100% true, the tm module does do some
> things for you... doesn't it?

It does RFC 3261 (+RFC 3263) routing....

> So, are you basically saying that my BYE handler is going to be
> about as complex as my INVITE and/or REGISTER handlers?
> And then the same for ACK?

Not at all!!! If you have record-routed the first INVITE then further
messages will be processed by the loose_route...

> I don't understand this:
>
> >> It shouldn't be that way because the BYE should contain the Contact:
>
> Are you saying that the BYE's I'm getting are flawed for some reason
> as they do not contain any Contact:

The entity responsible for the BYE req-URI is the UA that closed the
session. It's the one that must place the Contact of the INVITE in the
Req-URI of the following in-dialog requests.

> BTW, sort of a separate but related question: when would I get a BYE
> or ACK with loose_route() true, and when would I get one with
> loose_route() false?

see above...