[Users] Re: [Serusers] voip charging by ISP's

Roger Lewau Roger.Lewau at serverhallen.com
Wed Nov 2 04:23:36 CET 2005

Hello

Interesting thought, but I dont see why there would be a need or even a wish
to charge once for the Internet access with an agreed Speed or data transfer
limit, and then again for the type of traffic unless that specific traffic
is treated differently in the ISP network, as wth higher CoS. Why else would
they care what kind of traffic you are running on your connection as long it
is kept within the agreed speed/data transfer limit? But giving voip traffic
different CoS over the providers network as a differentiator to enable voice
traffic billing does not seem logical unless all providers on Internet do
the same, and map the CoS between the providers at peering points.

I do not see how the VoIP providers would ever accept such an approach from
any ISP.

IP traffic is IP Traffic! You pay for the amount of traffic you send and
receive. More traffic equals higher revenue for the ISP, no need to charge
traffic differently just because the traffic happens to be VoIP and the ISP
has its roots in Telecom industry. I believe that the natural development of
this would be that most of the ISPs also start to offer the VoIP services.
It make a lot more sense to use the ISP as the VoIP provider than any remote
provider, since that will increase performance, reliability and make the
whole 911 issue and technical troubleshooting a lot easier. I strongly
believe that the ISPs at all levels will most likely replace the old PTTs
over the next 5-10 years. And in the case of PTTs also being an ISP, lucky
them.

I think, Companies like Vonage probably will be outrun by ISPs providing
VoIP in the long run, but they will stay behind as alternate providers or as
gateways to the old pstn networks.

Regards
Roger