[Devel] Re: [Users] new features for avpops

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Thu Jul 14 13:04:15 CEST 2005

On 07/14/05 08:20, Timur Irmatov wrote:

>On 7/13/05, Elena Ramona Modroiu <ramona at voice-system.ro> wrote:
>

>>*** A new function is now available to perform integer operations with
>>avps:
>>
>>avp_op("source/destination", "operator/value/flags")
>>
>>the result of this function is the evaluation of the expression:
>>'destination' = 'source' 'operator' 'value'. If the 'destination' is not
>>specified, then a new avp having the name and type of 'source' will be
>>created.
>>

>I'm just wondering, why SER developers chose that way of implementing
>it's own language for configuration/scripting.  Now we have
>_functions_ for such simple operations as addition etc.
>
>Why not just embedding some widely used language like python (perl or
>other) into SER?

This language developed in time, at the beginning just few statements
and methods were available, and they seemed to be enough for a SIP
router. This language and its interpreter allow a lot of operations that
help to speed up the processing and control what can be done in the
configuration file -- ser was designed to be very fast, and a customized
language was the most suitable.

Could be an alternative to embed some language in the configuration, but
will require a lot of development and maybe internal structure changes.
Also, the config will be a wild garden, maybe more flexible, but more
exposed to troubles.

Daniel