[SR-Users] packets exceeding MTU size

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Aug 18 12:12:38 CEST 2022

Hi Ali,

Kamailio reassembles fragmented UDP just fine.

However, additional UDP fragments beyond the first packet don’t always get to Kamailio, since they don’t have a UDP header. UDP fragments can be dropped by stateful firewalls and/or NAT gateways for this reason.

This should not prevent the INVITE from being parsed; typically in real-world scenarios with a 1500 byte MTU, the first fragment captures all SIP headers, and fragmentation slices up the SDP payload. Fragmentation won’t adulterate the Request Line (first line), which contains the “INVITE” method verb. I suppose it is conceivable that a fragmentation boundary could occur in the middle of a SIP header and/or header value, causing the entire message to be discarded.

Your best bet for finding out what’s really going on is to look at Kamailio logs. An event like a parsing failure due to fragmentation should be logged.

— Alex