[SR-Users] Info: risk of failure by upgrading to MariaDB 10.3.31

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 12:02:56 CEST 2021

Hello,

not strictly related to Kamailio, but I know a large number of its
deployments run with MariaDB.

Be aware of a (pretty high) risk of failure after upgrading MariaDB
server to v10.3.31, which comes now on Debian 10 via the usual apt
update+upgrade. I was hit on one the servers I upgraded recently, first
one worked fine, the 2nd failed to start MariaDB service after upgrade -
there is a bug report about it:

  *
https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1823336.html

Downgrading MariaDB seems to be the right solution for now, specially if
you didn't do a backup just before upgrade. Don't try other tricks
without a fresh backup, data files can be damaged.

If you have a fresh backup, there seems to be a solution by deleting
database files to start with a clean set and then restore from backup
with sql statements.

FreeBSD has a similar bug report, so doesn't seem to be only Debian,
could be other Linux distros as well.

Even with fresh backups, plan for a longer maintenance time frame than
usual.

Kamailio Advanced Training - Online
Nov 08-11, 2021 (Europe Timezone) - Nov 22-25, 2021 (America Timezone)
  * https://www.asipto.com/sw/kamailio-advanced-training-online/