[SR-Users] Can Kamailio help with this?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at kamailio.open.source.it
Sat May 15 15:21:28 CEST 2021

Hi.

I've been aware of Kamailio, and on this list, for several years, but so far I
have not implemented Kamailio for any purpose.

I wonder if it could be a suitable tool for the following scenario.

I currently use Asterisk to register as a client, with username and password,
to other SIP PBXs in order to receive calls.  As far as the other PBX is
concerned, Asterisk looks like a SIP telephone on a particular extension.

However, Asterisk's SIP client capabilities are limited to handling phone
calls only, and it specifically cannot receive presence information about the
state of other extensions from the remote PBX.

So, could Kamailio be used in the path between Asterisk and the remote PBX so
that the registration on the PBX comes from Kamailio (with any incoming calls
being passed to Asterisk), but with Kamailio also receiving presence
information from the remote PBX and making this available to some script or
application (which I would expect to have to write)?

The main point is that I don't want to have two things registering to the
remote PBX, one for calls and one for presence, so I'm looking for a way to
register with something which understands presence, and can also pass calls on
to Asterisk.

Can anyone suggest whether Kamailio could do this, and if so, point me at some
resources to help me get started; or alternatively suggest ideas on some other
tool which might be more appropriate than Kamailio?

Thanks for any ideas,

Antony.

--
Schrödinger's rule of data integrity: the condition of any backup is unknown
until a restore is attempted.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.