[SR-Users] worker processes

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Sep 1 19:22:10 CEST 2020

On 2020-09-01 12:08, Ali Taher wrote:

> I noticed that there is 48 database connections established by Kamailio
> (16 x 3) , can this cause an issue knowing that maximum worker processes
> is 24 ?
Postgres's ability to serve clients and accommodate queries isn't
limited by the number of max_worker_processes. The default is 8 if this
value is unset, yet any stock PostgreSQL instance can accommodate more
than 8 concurrent connections, clearly. max_worker_processes !=
max_connections.

As far as the wisdom of setting process limits to equal the number of
available CPU cores ("VCPUs"), there's no absolute answer to that. The
general danger with doing this is just that a particularly expensive or
destructive statement can consume all of the hardware resources, with no
safety margins for other processes, and perhaps not even enough for
someone to log in and resolve the problem. So, the general
recommendation is not allow PostgreSQL to consume every single VCPU or
max out any other resource, and that's why most Linux distributions'
server packages come with these types of settings conservatively tuned.

-- Alex

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)