[SR-Users] Pike Module Clarification

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 15:18:04 CET 2020

Hi All,

Please clarify the pike settings for SIP message count, the module Doc
reports:

----
modparam("pike", "sampling_time_unit", 10)

modparam("pike", "reqs_density_per_unit", 30)

How many requests should be allowed per sampling_time_unit before blocking
all the incoming request from that IP. Practically, the blocking limit is
between ( let's have x=reqs_density_per_unit) x and 3*x for IPv4 addresses
and between x and 8*x for IPv6 addresses.

-----

So the example above the SIP message rate is 30 messages within 10 seconds
triggers an pike alert?

The description I'm confused on is "Practically, the blocking 'limit is
between' (let's have x=reqs_density_per_unit) x and 3*x for IPv4"

The way this reads to me is the Pike alert could be triggered anywhere
between 30 and 90 (3*30) messages within 10 second period. Am I reading this
correctly? What determines when the pike trigger actually happens, could the
trigger happen at say 56 messages within 10 seconds?

Thanks.

JR Richardson

Engineering for the Masses

Chasing the Azeotrope