[SR-Users] MD5 and SHA-256 instead of MD5 or SHA-256...

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Jun 18 10:42:55 CEST 2020

> On 17 Jun 2020, at 17:22, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at sippysoft.com> wrote:
>
> Whoever works on this needs to consider two things I think:
>
> - ability to select algorithms when challenging UAC (MD5-only, SHA256-only, SHA-512/256-only, all permutations). The RFC allows UAS to include multiple HFs(*).  MD5-only should probably be the default. I suspect there might be a significantly non-trivial population of UACs that would get confused receiving multiple digests. Plus enabling challenges for all protocols would expand the size of 401s messages.
Agree, multiple challenges will break stuff. I’m not sure that implementations actually bother with parsing the algorithm parameter.

> - ability to accept response in either of supported hashing methods or any combination of thereof. The reasonable default here is probably MD5-only for now, again to prevent the possibility of foul play when we only request MD5, while for some reason getting say SHA-256 back.
If you challenge with SHA512 only, you should not accept anything else.

> -Max
> *) Example:
> 401 Unauthorized
> [..]
> WWW-Authenticate: Digest
>        realm="http-auth at example.org <mailto:http-auth at example.org>",
>        qop="auth, auth-int",
>        algorithm=SHA-256,
>        nonce="7ypf/xlj9XXwfDPEoM4URrv/xwf94BcCAzFZH4GiTo0v",
>        opaque="FQhe/qaU925kfnzjCev0ciny7QMkPqMAFRtzCUYo5tdS"
> WWW-Authenticate: Digest
>        realm="http-auth at example.org <mailto:http-auth at example.org>",
>        qop="auth, auth-int",
>        algorithm=MD5,
>        nonce="7ypf/xlj9XXwfDPEoM4URrv/xwf94BcCAzFZH4GiTo0v",
>        opaque="FQhe/qaU925kfnzjCev0ciny7QMkPqMAFRtzCUYo5tdS”

So the question is how to migrate. I don’t believe migrating within the same UA base will work smootlhy ever. If you have a provisioning system
it is easy setting up a SIP subdomain, let’s say “strong.example.com <http://strong.example.com/>” and use that either for OB proxy or SIP domain, dependinig on your setup.
By doing that, you can have a zone witih devices/clients that can handle stronger auth and *only* use that. For the old ones, keep them
running until you reasonable can upgrade them.

Of course you can do this witih realms too, but that requires a strong realm implementation in the UA’s, something that SNOM had in
the beginning but removed (maybe it was too hard to explain).

Cheers,
/O