[SR-Users] MD5 and SHA-256 instead of MD5 or SHA-256...

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Wed Jun 17 17:22:15 CEST 2020

Whoever works on this needs to consider two things I think:

- ability to select algorithms when challenging UAC (MD5-only,
SHA256-only, SHA-512/256-only,
all permutations). The RFC allows UAS to include multiple HFs(*).  MD5-only
should probably be the default. I suspect there might be a significantly
non-trivial population of UACs that would get confused receiving multiple
digests. Plus enabling challenges for all protocols would expand the size
of 401s messages.

- ability to accept response in either of supported hashing methods or any
combination of thereof. The reasonable default here is probably MD5-only
for now, again to prevent the possibility of foul play when we only request
MD5, while for some reason getting say SHA-256 back.

-Max

*) Example:

401 Unauthorized

[..]
WWW-Authenticate: Digest
       realm="http-auth at example.org",
       qop="auth, auth-int",
       algorithm=SHA-256,
       nonce="7ypf/xlj9XXwfDPEoM4URrv/xwf94BcCAzFZH4GiTo0v",
       opaque="FQhe/qaU925kfnzjCev0ciny7QMkPqMAFRtzCUYo5tdS"
WWW-Authenticate: Digest
       realm="http-auth at example.org",
       qop="auth, auth-int",
       algorithm=MD5,