[SR-Users] MID-Registrar Example

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:11:54 CET 2020

Hello,

the mid registrar can be done with current kamailio. Practically there
are two scenarios:

1) the mid registrar is aware of the passwords for end users, in that
case, practically it is just uac module with uacreg database table from
kamailio to registrar server:

  * https://www.kamailio.org/docs/modules/devel/modules/uac.html#idm650

With options for fine tuning using the functions to enable/disable
uacreg records based on registration/unregistration from end points:

  *
https://www.kamailio.org/docs/modules/devel/modules/uac.html#uac.f.uac_reg_enable

On the end point side, the registrar+usrloc are used as usual

2) the mid registrar is agnostic of username and passwords, it relies on
the IP of the first (authenticated by registrar) REGISTER for subsequent
registrations of the endpoint -- in this case there was a recent
discussion on this mailing list where I described how it can be done:

  * https://lists.kamailio.org/pipermail/sr-users/2020-October/110779.html

  * https://lists.kamailio.org/pipermail/sr-users/2020-October/110782.html

Looking at the other messages in the thread can be also useful, just get
the subject from the above two links and spot the corresponding thread at:

  *
https://lists.kamailio.org/pipermail/sr-users/2020-October/thread.html#start

The registrar+usrloc can still be used, or not, a matter of what main
registrar can do.

So far I needed 1) and works like a charm, providing a lot of
flexibility when needing to offload traffic of a system in the same
operator. The 2) may look a bit like complex config oriented, but it is
not really much.

Considering the two variants available, I think Kamailio offers all
needed for what people refer as mid-registrar. If people find cases that
they think cannot be covered, just write here and I can try to assist
further.

Funding: https://www.paypal.me/dcmierla