[SR-Users] RTP multiplexing, batching and compression (KamailioWorld followup)

Stefan Sayer stefan.sayer at gmail.com
Thu May 9 22:27:38 CEST 2019

Hi,

as a followup to the 5 min 5 slides talk on Tuesday at the Kamailio
world conference, I wanted to send links to that implementation, as I
did get some interest about this afterwards.

This transparent RTP mux gateway implementation in SEMS is a
multiplexing, batching and compression mechanism, which can save quite
some bandwidth on low bitrate codecs - can be useful if you need to
work with very low bitrate links, e.g. on satellite (I tested with 10
G729 calls instead of 5 on a 128kbit sat link).

It's a bit like ROHC (RFC3095) but on application level, only for RTP,
and by using configuration for IP addresses instead of negotiation. Or
as osmux, but without separate negotiation (but in-band), and for all
codecs, and SIP. Or iax2 trunking mode, but with normal SIP/RTP.

https://github.com/sems-server/sems/blob/sayer/rtp-mux/doc/rtp_mux/rtp_mux_protocol.txt
https://github.com/sems-server/sems/blob/sayer/rtp-mux/doc/rtp_mux/rtp_mux.txt

For now it's in the sayer/rtp-mux branch, but it's planned to merge it
to master, possibly with simplification of the configuration.

On another note, many thanks to the organizers of the Kamailio World
conference! It's both really nice to meet, and very useful, and I
think as well individually as well as for the community as a whole.

Best Regards,
Stefan