[SR-Users] Licensing clarification of Kamailio scripting code

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Mar 8 08:23:24 CET 2019

> On 7 Mar 2019, at 22:00, Henning Westerholt <hw at kamailio.org> wrote:
>
> Am Mittwoch, 6. März 2019, 08:43:05 CET schrieb Wei Li Jiang:
>> I am aware the Kamailio itself as well as the native C modules are licensed
>> under the GPL.
>> What is the licensing situation with the Kamailio routing scripts, both
>> native and via KEMI?
>
> Hello Wei,
>
> I am not a lawyer, and for a definite answer to your particular case I'd
> suggest you consult one.
>
> You are correct, Kamailio is licensed mainly under GPL2 or later. The core is
> licensed under the BSD license.
My interpretation is that while the core is contributed and the core source files are licensed
under BSD; the Kamailio distribution overall, including the core, is licensed under GPL2
when we distribute tarballs and distribution packages.

This includes the sample configuration files and the documentation READMEs included
in the distribution.

Again, I’m no lawyer either :-)

/O