[SR-Users] Licensing clarification of Kamailio scripting code

Henning Westerholt hw at kamailio.org
Thu Mar 7 22:00:24 CET 2019

Am Mittwoch, 6. März 2019, 08:43:05 CET schrieb Wei Li Jiang:
> I am aware the Kamailio itself as well as the native C modules are licensed
> under the GPL.
> What is the licensing situation with the Kamailio routing scripts, both
> native and via KEMI?

Hello Wei,

I am not a lawyer, and for a definite answer to your particular case I'd
suggest you consult one.

You are correct, Kamailio is licensed mainly under GPL2 or later. The core is
licensed under the BSD license.

About your question:

Kamailio interprets the routing script during run-time. This does not enforce
a certain license on this particular Kamailio configuration script. You as an
author can choose a license that you prefer.

You will find a more extensive explanation in the GPL FAQ, first paragraph:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL

If you e.g. sell a Kamailio script to a customer, the customer can of course
access the script and look to it. It is available on the server in the end.
But this does not alter your right to choose a license.

Best regards,

Henning

Kamailio services - https://skalatan.de/services
Kamailio security assessment - https://skalatan.de/de/assessment