[SR-Users] Astricon: OpenSource Soiree

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 10:26:30 CEST 2018

Hello,

there are couple of aspects to clarify with your kind of approach here.

* First, because you did it couple of times, email good manners say not
to send a message to many recipients that have no close relation between
them. You addressed many of your past emails to couple of mailing lists:

  - if you think the members overlap, then send to only one, everyone
will get it from there
  - if you don't think the above and the communities are different, send
independent messages to each of your recipients or put them on bcc.
After all, copy&paste is cheap, takes few more seconds, but is done
properly. We encourage Reply-All in your community, when someone sends
an email with recipient in no relation with themselves and our project,
even worse with subscribe-only mailing lists, it doesn't play nice

* Users mailing list here is for discussions about using Kamailio. If
you do a presentation or something else that doesn't involve directly
Kamailio, even if you think some aspects there can be interesting, this
is not the forum for it. Use business list or contact first the Kamailio
project admin or management groups to figure out where is the most
appropriate place to post your message. It was suggested by others for
your past posts, I wanted to highlight it again.

* Personal opinion here, but your event seems organized somehow around
the facilities/efforts put together by Astricon/Asterisk team to get
people in Orlando. It is announced as a public event, on several open
source projects, like Kamailio or FreeSwitch, but Asterisk is left out
(or at least I couldn't see any announcement on Asterisk Users/Business
lists). If you invited all of us here, thousands people in Kamailio
Users list, maybe this could have been done as something more official
with the organizers of the main event. It's usual that various groups
organize themselves in sort of private meetings/gatherings/parties at
world wide events, discussing among them, but doing it in this mode
looks more like a cheap way of advertising.

The sponsors of your event promote themselves as "known sponsors and
contributors to the OpenSouce Telecom Community". If Asterisk doesn't
qualify for open source telecom, then likely no one else qualifies. Or
maybe the meaning of "OpenSouce Telecom Community" is like: hey, I use
an open source telephony project, so I am also part of the "OpenSouce
Telecom Community", so I am going to "sponsor" myself some drinks, thus
now I am now "sponsor and contributor to the OpenSouce Telecom Community".

Also, the sponsors have very little or nothing to do with Kamailio
project. Moreover, various people involved there, among the sponsors and
the others, had aggressive campaigns against Kamailio project and its
developers in the past. After saying left and right that Kamailio has
incapable developers and it is going to die as a project, but 10 years
late they find our project and community interesting ... huh.

* I see a photo that includes me on the web page of your event. It would
have been polite to at least ask if I am fine with, not to say that it
is illegal to do it with the privacy laws in European Union. Maybe I
agreed that pictures that capture me at some past events (in this case
Astricon 2017) can be used by the organizers of the event, but for sure
I didn't agree to be used by others for promoting of events not related
to me, Kamailio or the original event. And if you think of asking now: I
am not.

It happens also that I attended all Kamailio World editions, so the
statement in your event web page that "You've seen us at ... Kamailio
World" is unclear. Who is "us"? I see in the page  faces that were never
at KW as well as sponsors that had nothing to do with the event or with
Kamailio project.

To conclude: maybe the event is well intended, I expect it is, but
beside giving an email address and posting a day+time, no other info
about the persons that are the main organizers, the location, the
capacity and acceptance rules, ... it is just trying to highlight some
sponsors and various persons, so instead of (hoping) its well intended
scope, it looks like advertising purposes by a bunch of opportunistic
companies and people.

Kamailio World Conference -- www.kamailioworld.com
Kamailio Advanced Training, Nov 12-14, 2018, in Berlin -- www.asipto.com