[SR-Users] Use of SCTP on public SIP server

Henning Westerholt hw at kamailio.org
Tue Nov 6 09:28:13 CET 2018

Am Montag, 5. November 2018, 11:56:36 CET schrieb Kevin Olbrich:
> I read about the SCTP module for Kamailio and I am not sure if I should
> load it (currently I am not).
> Does this provide any benefit when Kamailio is used as proxy in front of
> Asterisk?
>
> At least from Wikipedia and the kamailio docs, it sounds like I can load it
> and it does it's magic.
> The multihomed part caught my attention.

Hello Kevin,

from the module README:

"This module provides SCTP transport layer for Kamailio. SCTP is an acronym
for Stream Control Transmission Protocol, read more about it at: http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_Control_Transmission_Protocol"

So this is a dedicated transport layer (like UDP, TCP), and would need some
more adaptions in our network setup and clients. So it will not automatically
add magic to your setup, sorry. ;-)

You can enable multi-homed support in Kamailio with the mhomed core parameter.

Best regards,

Henning

Kamailio services - https://skalatan.de/services
Kamailio security assessment - https://skalatan.de/de/assessment