[SR-Users] Determining next hop for any SIP message

Henning Westerholt hw at kamailio.org
Mon May 7 20:50:20 CEST 2018

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2018, 16:25:06 CEST schrieb George Diamantopoulos:
> Just one last attempt at clearing the following points, if someone feels
> confident enough to answer:
>
> * Does $nh(d) work when the Route header enforces the next-hop in an
> in-dialog request?
> * Is it safe to determine next hop for responses by looking at the first
> Via header only, or are there exceptions to this?
> [..]

Hello George,

I can't comment on the $nh(d) question right now, I would just test it.

About the next hop choosing for responses - its described in the standard:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261#section-16.7 (part 9):

"[..] The proxy MUST pass the response to the server transaction
associated with the response context.  This will result in the
response being sent to the location now indicated in the
topmost Via header field value. [..]"
Its a bit more complicated then this excerpt, have a look to the complete section.

Best regards,

Henning