[SR-Users] Is 't_newtran()' needed when using reliable TCP/TLS transport?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Apr 11 18:44:35 CEST 2018

Well, no, there are lots of things you need transaction state for.
Failover, for example.

If you tried gateway #1 and it timed out, so you want to try gateway #2,
you have no way of doing that unless you have some way of knowing and
interrogating the facts that:

1) gateway #1 was tried
2) a certain amount of time went by
3) nothing happened;
4) you're due to try gateway #2 next.

That all requires state.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 04:38:19PM +0000, Cody Herzog wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have read that the primary use of 't_newtran()' is to handle SIP retransmissions.
>
> Given that, is there any reason to use it when operating over TCP/TLS?
>
> I recently changed a route to operate asynchronously through 'async_task_route()'. When I did, calls to 't_newtran()' started failing.
>
> I'm hoping that I can safely remove all the calls to 't_newtran()' and the matching calls to 't_release()' on this async route, because I am using TLS as the transport.
>
> Does that sound correct?
>
> Thanks.

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)