[SR-Users] Advice on taking the best path to build a Presence & IM server

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 17:59:50 CEST 2017

Hello,

sip presence spec doesn't have many client library implementing it, so
if you don't want to invest in that direction, it is minus, I expect
xmpp has more options here.

In terms of scalability, I cannot comment on xmpp, as I never did any
large installation.

SIP has a plus in routing flexibility, given by the headers and the fact
that you can decide easier what would be the next hop in the path.
Another plus with SIP would be integration with 4G networks where the
core is using SIP for routing.

One issue when running two protocols is the operations, practically
there are two different infrastructures, one for sip and one for xmpp,
adding the overhead of maintaining/monitoring/upgrading over the time.

If you want the basic presence features, it should not be that complex
even with sip. If you want to fully implement SIMPLE specs, then might
be a lot of work.

As a conclusion, if there is going to be use only one type of SIP client
with IM&Prensece that you develop, then probably is ok to go for this
way. If you expect to have many types of SIP IM&P clients implemented by
different vendors, I expect difficult times ahead to get them work
together nicely.

On 16.10.17 22:24, José Seabra wrote:
> Hello there,
> I'm writing here in order to get your experiences about a Presence &
> IM server.
>
> I would like to know what is the best solution to follow:
>
>   * SIP Simple or XMPP?
>

> I've more knowledge about SIP Simple with kamailio but i did some
> researches and i found several open sources unified communications
> software that's implement Presence and IM using an XMPP server.
> So what is your opinion about which is the best solution to choose,
> taking in considerations the following aspects:
>
>  1. scalability
>  2. interopeability
>  3. permornace
>  4. features(like: Personal assistance, voicemail integration, chat
>     group, integration with social media)
>
> Should i choose Kamailio SIP Simple with xcap or an XMPP
> server(Prosody or ejabberd, etc)
>
> I will appreciate a lot your opinion.
> Thank you
>

> Regards