[SR-Users] DBURL password in clear

Robert robert at vooey.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 14:25:19 CET 2017

Hello,

I’m working for a UK high street bank and our Kamailio implementation has been challenged because we’ve got database passwords held in clear in the configuration file.

I am unable to find any examples of where this has been worked around, there doesn’t seem to be any module or configuration means of supplying a variable in the modparam() entry that is expanded a startup. The security tutorials only seem to relate to the SIP level of security, not Kamailio as a platform.

My requirement is simple, I need to be able to supply a password via means such as loading a variable from a run-once script at start up, or a module. The ideal would be to be able to read in a Docker secret :)

I am by no means a Kamailio expert, so apologies in advance if this is a mindblowingly basic thing to achieve, but I do feel I’ve exhausted the Kamailio documentation, wiki etc. and all the goodness Google usually has to offer and drawn a blank.

Sincere thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cheers - Robert...