[SR-Users] Kamailio Registration load Issue

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 09:37:43 CEST 2017

Hello,

besides Alex' suggestion to look at AWS PPS limits, few things to take
in consideration in such case:

  - if CPU usage is low, then if you use DNS for routing, be sure that
DNS server is very responsive
  - if you do auth with database, be sure that database is very responsive
  - if you print extensive log messages, be sure syslog is configured
asynchronous
  - check the received queue on sip port with netstat, if it is high
value, then kamailio is stuck in some operations (like those above) and
doesn't read as fast as the end point transmits
  - if sipp runs on a low capacity system, I noticed that it cannot
handle the responses at high throughput even when they are sent to it
and it actually thinks it hasn't received them and do retransmissions

On 27/03/2017 21:09, Jade SZ wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am running a simple REGISTER load test on:
>
> 1) Kamailio sever with 2 cores - mem 5G
> 2) Kamailio server with 4 cores - mem 16G
>
> Both are EC2 instances.
>
> At -r = 500 i.e. 500 reg/sec sipP test works fine with very few
> re-trans. But when i increase it to 800 reg/sec it starts
> retransmissions in bulk.
>
> I don't see server's CPU, load-avg or memory shooting. Running
> everything by default, even using kamctl to start the instance. So I
> have not tuned any params yet.
>
> My main concern is how can I make server choke and get its actual
> capacity, and avoid these retransmissions as apparently kamailio is
> not even utilizing 2 cores and CPU usage is under 10 always.
>
> Results of both server is same i.e. 500 reg/sec max so I am sure there
> is some problem that needs a fix, but need some hints here.
>
> Also used multiple SIPp's to rule out if it is SIPp issue, but after
> 500 I see same problem.
>

> Regards,
> JSZ

Daniel-Constantin Mierla