[SR-Users] new keepalive module ?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 13:18:47 CET 2017

Hello,

On 13/03/2017 22:45, Guillaume Bour wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for you answer
>
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 11:35:17PM +0100, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> On 07/03/2017 21:22, Guillaume Bour wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to implement destinations keepalive in drouting module (as it is done in dispatcher).
>>> But instead of duplicating what's implemented in dispatcher, I think it would be more clever to create a new module
>>> dedicated to pinging destinations, and to plug drouting, dispatcher and other modules to this new one
>>>
>>> What's you opinion about that ?
>>>
>> could be an interesting module, not able to say at this moment if I
>> would plug it into dispatcher, as I cannot assert the impact, but at
>> least for adding to drouting or other modules which don't have this
>> feature, should worth the try.
>>
>> How do you plan to have the relation between the modules? Each of them
>> will have a copy of the addresses, or the addresses of the destinations
>> will be in. a single module, and the other will refer to them via some
>> unique id? Will drouting just build the list of destination based on
>> priority, then check with the new module to see which are active and
>> remove the inactive ones?
> My idea is to expose a set of API functions, allowing other modules
> to register/unregister addresses to monitor.
> So yes, destinations adresses would be duplicated in keepalive module memory.
> Then keepalive module would notify the "source" module when destination
> status change (available -> unavailable, and vice-versa)
>
>> Again, when I would see some sort of prototype/initial version, probably
>> I can comment more. The questions above just pop up in my mind, but
>> probably you can just go ahead to write some code as you consider, then
>> we can start a discussion from there and see what can be improved/better
>> integrated with existing modules.
>>
> I have started working on a POC.
> It is available at https://github.com/gbour/kamailio/tree/module-keepalive
OK, thanks for pointing to it.

Once you get something working, you can make a pull request so we can
review it using github portal.

It may be useful to have it working with its own group of destination
and export to kamailio.cfg some functions to check if a destination is
active or not, change it state, etc ... It can be used when routing to a
single pstn gateway or other media servers to reply directly from
kamailio, not to forward and wait for timeout.