[SR-Users] domain vs uid_domain module

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 09:14:32 CEST 2017

Hello,

in short, if you were not using uid_domain module so far, I would
recommend to use the domain module.

The uid_domain module comes from SER branch of the project, while the
domain module comes from Kamailio branch (during 2005-2008, they were
separate projects). Afaik, uid_domain didn't get much attention lately,
it doesn't mean that is not working, but most of the work was with
domain module. They used to have different database structure and
different internal processing.

Same for the other uid_* modules, their origin is in SER branch, but
there should be alternatives offered by Kamailio branch. They are kept
for the people that used to run the SER branch, but I am not sure if
they are many left these days...

On 07.07.17 14:41, Huber Andreas wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I was comparing the documentation of the “uid_domain” and “domain”
> modules and I was wondering what is the main difference between the
> two modules.
>
> While the “uid_domain” module has more documentation, it seems to me
> that both modules are offering very similar functionality, or am I
> missing something ?
>

> Also I found it curious that the documentation of the “uid_domain”
> module uses “domain” as the module name in all its examples for the
> module configuration. E.g.
>
> modparam("domain", "domain_table", "new_name")
>

> But when I try to use the “uid_domain” module, I actually have to
> specify the parameters as :
>
> modparam("uid_domain", "domain_table", "new_name")
>

> The same question also applies to the “uid_auth_db” module that
> resembles closely the “auth_db” module in the documentation, but not
> in the implementation.
>

> Kind Regards,
>
> Andreas

Daniel-Constantin Mierla