[SR-Users] Newbie starting - looking for docs / tutorials

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at kamailio.open.source.it
Mon Feb 27 18:25:40 CET 2017

Hi.

I'm just starting with Kamailio - I've been to a few presentations about it,
at Fosdem and KamailioWorld, but never used it so far.

I'm pretty familiar with Asterisk, and I want to use them in combination.

My first use case is to handle SIP registrations (both as a client, registering
to a remote SIP server, and as a server, accepting registrations from
handsets) in Kamailio instead of Asterisk, and still be able to route calls
to/from the registered accounts through the Asterisk dialplan.

I suspect this is a pretty common starting point for people who've used
Asterisk and want to add Kamailio to the setup?

So far I've been unsuccessful finding any Howto or Tutorial explaining how to
do this - I can't help feeling I must simply be looking in the wrong place or
in the wrong way.

Searching for topics like "Asterisk Kamailio Getting Started" I find:

http://kamailio.org/docs/ser-getting-started/SER-GettingStarted.pdf

but with 12 chapters and 85 pages I'm not sure which bits are the essential
parts to do what I need.

I've also found http://kb.asipto.com/asterisk:realtime:kamailio-4.0.x-
asterisk-11.3.0-astdb but this seems to focus on a database backend, which I
guess I'll want to use in due course, but doesn't seem the simplest place to
start just to learn how Asterisk & Kamailio work together?

So, please can someone suggest a beginner's guide to introducing Kamailio into
an Asterisk setup, keeping things as simple as possible to start with, so I
can learn about Kamailio one bit at a time (since there do seem to be a lot of
bits to it) from a familiar environment of using it with Asterisk?

Thanks in advance,

Antony.

--
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.