[SR-Users] Forwarding Registration to Asterisk

Wilkins, Steve swwilkins at mitre.org
Thu Dec 7 19:01:11 CET 2017

Hi ALL,

I have taken tcpdumps and I see Kamailio sending an "INVITE" to Asterisk and Asterisk responds with "OK" three times and that is the end of SIP traffic.  But Asterisk throws the error => "Endpoint '20001': Could not create dialog to invalid URI '20001'".  I verified that endpoint 20001 is indeed not registered in Asterisk, so Asterisk does not know what endpoint to send data to.  But the endpoint is registered in Kamailio, so I thought if I forwarded the registration from Kamailio to Asterisk, then Asterisk would have access to that endpoint.

I am relatively new to Asterisk and Kamailio and I am not sure why this is not working.  As I have mentioned, I have WebRTC client1 and WebRTC client2 both being able to send requests through Kamailio to Asterisk and back to the clients successfully (as long as I am only doing things like having asterisk play video/audio) However, client1 cannot see client2 because Asterisk does not have any registration information on client1 or client2.

=>
It appears the bottom line is that when using Kamailio, Asterisk does not register the endpoints.  Therefore, everything works as long as I am not trying to connect one Kamailio endpoint to another Kamailio endpoint that both use Asterisk.  So in my example, I have two web clients that can both call asterisk tasks like “Playback”, but, cannot contact each other because Kamailio is not forwarding registration information to Asterisk and Asterisk is unable to get back to the Kamailio registrations to find each other’s endpoints.

I still believe this boils down to
-	An issue with Kamailio not properly forwarding registrations to Asterisk (could be me, but I do try to forward the registration in kamailio.cfg)
Note: in tcpdump I do see the “REGISTER” being sent to Asterisk and Asterisk sends back the unauthorized (as expected) but Kamailio does not send a second “REGISTER”.
(I believe that if I could tell Asterisk to not require authentication, then the endpoint would then be registered on Asterisk also)

I honestly don’t know if this is a Kamailio or an Asterisk issue.

P.S. I have tried all suggestion on this and other boards but to no avail.  Asterisk is just no seeing all endpoints that Kamailio does.

Thank you