[SR-Users] STUN server - stun_allow_stun

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:16:56 CEST 2016

Hello,

since couple of version, the stun implementation is a module:

  - https://www.kamailio.org/docs/modules/stable/modules/stun.html

When the client side uses stun and turn, kamailio should not do anything
special, just forward requests.

Probably other dedicated stun server projects are more up to date and
complete implementations, if the implementation in kamailio is not
sufficient, you can use them just fine, not problem from kamailio point
of view.

On 21/09/16 16:53, Hermann Norpois wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some STUN questions. My plan is to build a P2P connection with
> ICE (psua2 or libnice).
>

> 1) According to the cookbook
> (http://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/4.0.x/core) one can activate
> an internal STUN server:
> stun_allow_stun = 0 | 1 (off | on); default 1
>
> This is followed by:
> "Note: STUN support is only available if sip-router/Kamailio was
> compiled with STUN support (“make STUN=1 cfg”)"
>
> I did an installation with sudo apt-get ... Is STUN support
> availbable? How do I check for STUN support?
>
> 2) I ICE it seems to be usual that the body of the SIP request
> contains an SDP message that includes the IP addresses and ports to be
> used. So the results of the STUN request (and TURN request possibily)
> are already included. How does the kamailio STUN server work? Is it an
> independent STUN server (caller asks the kamailio STUN server - gets
> an answer - encodes an SDP with the external IP adress an port
> information - starts the SIP INVITE) ? Or does Kamailio change SDP
> lines after contacting the internal STUN server?
>
> 3) Is the kanailio STUN server prefered to other STUN servers, for
> instance stun.stunprotocol.org <http://stun.stunprotocol.org>?
>
> Thanks
> Hermann

Daniel-Constantin Mierla