[SR-Users] STUN server - stun_allow_stun

Hermann Norpois hnorpois at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:53:50 CEST 2016

Hello,

I have some STUN questions. My plan is to build a P2P connection with ICE
(psua2 or libnice).

1) According to the cookbook (
http://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/4.0.x/core) one can activate an
internal STUN server:
stun_allow_stun = 0 | 1 (off | on); default 1

This is followed by:
"Note: STUN support is only available if sip-router/Kamailio was compiled
with STUN support (“make STUN=1 cfg”)"

I did an installation with sudo apt-get ... Is STUN support availbable? How
do I check for STUN support?

2) I ICE it seems to be usual that the body of the SIP request contains an
SDP message that includes the IP addresses and ports to be used. So the
results of the STUN request (and TURN request possibily) are already
included. How does the kamailio STUN server work? Is it an independent STUN
server (caller asks the kamailio STUN server - gets an answer - encodes an
SDP with the external IP adress an port information - starts the SIP
INVITE) ? Or does Kamailio change SDP lines after contacting the internal
STUN server?

3) Is the kanailio STUN server prefered to other STUN servers, for instance
stun.stunprotocol.org?

Thanks
Hermann