[SR-Users] Replacing Asterisk with Kamailio

Daniel Tryba d.tryba at pocos.nl
Tue Sep 13 18:22:24 CEST 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:42:23PM -0300, Valter Nogueira wrote:
> I use Asterisk for SIP and Media Proxy. Despite the fact that Asterisk is
> not a SIP Proxy at all.
[...]
> Well, I understand that I have to use some kamailio modules, like auth,
> dialplan, rtpproxy and db_mysql.
>
> What make me stuck is how does everything fit together in kamailio.cfg and
> how do I get ongoing calls and CDR's?
>
> Can anyone point me a direction?

I was once at the exact same point you are. And what helped my the most
was the Kamailio Advanced Training course. If you don't want/cannot to
do that, there is a kamailio-advanced.cfg provided with the
sources/packages.  That does all you want except dialplan and dialog
modules. Start by dissecting that config.

Start small and build up the config. Just about any question you might
have is already asked and hopefully answered on this mailing list, so
search the archive and ask what you can't find/understand/figure out.
There might be some answers in the cookbooks/tutorials on
http://www.kamailio.org/wiki/start#cookbooks

BTW I still use asterisk for upstream SIP trunks, it's b2bua features
can be really usefull when talking to the outside world. So again start
small and have kamailio talk to your existing asterisk machines (e.g.
via the dispatcher module) to reach the outside. Verify your kamailio
CDRs (extraced from the accounting module) to asterisk.