[SR-Users] Roadmap to Kamailio v5.0

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 15:08:41 CET 2016

Hello,

following the last IRC devel meeting, I am writing the summary of the
main points being discussed there and what's planned to get to Kamailio
v5.0.

1) Freezing should be done either before Chrismas holidays or at
beginning of January 2017 to aim meeting the deadline for next Debian
stable distro

2) Restructuring the source tree

To be done in the weeks before freezing, so eventual fixes won't have
hard time to be backported to 4.4.

This means it will be done in December. Open issues:

  a) anyone aware of a tool that can update include directives upon
relocation of the file?
  b) who is interested to join an eventual online session to perform the
restructuring? C coding is not a must here, but more knowledge of
sed/awk/perl/python/... and Makefiles ...

3) Defining a template for generating main file of a module

The scope is to have a descriptive file for the module where one lists
exported symbols (config params, functions, kemi functions, rpc/mi
commands, etc.) which along with a template will generate the c code.
The effective implementation of the functions/commands will be done
separately, in a different file (e.g, the main file that is generated
can have references to parameter variables with extern ... and will also
generate the .h which will have only the prototypes for the functions).

The main goal here is to get a way of easily generated an index of
exported symbols that can be used to discover missing documentation.
Right now we sort of do 'gentlemen agreement' on documenting functions
and parameters, but many rpc commands are not documented (they are
extracted with some tool scanning compiled objects).

Also, same concept as with c code can be used to generate some stubs for
documentation that can be included in docbook xml files.

Few proposals of templating engines were mentioned, coming in my mind
now being jinja2 and mustache. Anyone else with more suggestions?

Or even propose alternatives of what can be used to solve this relation
between code and docs?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio Advanced Training, Berlin, Nov 28-30, 2016 - http://www.asipto.com